The Days




I found this butterfly on the sidewalk one day. It was lifeless perfection. I couldn’t help but wonder if it just fell out of the sky mid-flight when the end came. 

It feels like that every time someone I know dies. The end comes abruptly and unexpectedly. It catches in my throat when I think about it. Sometimes there is no warning at all. 

When Dale’s dad died, I kept thinking, “That’s it. He crossed the finish line without seeing it coming.” There was no time to get better at living. There was no grand finale. It was game over.

I’ve always lived with this idea that someday I’ll feel like I’ve arrived on a plateau where I can say, “This is it! This is the place I’ve been working toward all these years.” I’m starting to believe that doesn’t exist here. God designed us to faithfully walk with Him, day by day, through mountains and valleys, good times and bad, always moving but never arriving. 

With that knowledge, I want my regular, ordinary everydays to bring glory to the God of the Universe. I want to exude the joy that walking with Him brings me. I want to love people more than I love myself so that serving others becomes the joy of my heart. I want to live in such a way that when my end comes, the transition from here to eternity is just a bridge.

“So teach us to number our days, That we may present to You a heart of wisdom.”Psalms‬ ‭90‬:‭12

“O satisfy us in the morning with Your lovingkindness, That we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.”Psalms‬ ‭90‬:‭14‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days