on the map

I'm flipping though six months of pictures from my phone trying to decide where to begin.
I'll start here.

Dale gave me Tuesday nights a few months ago, to do whatever I want by myself. I've never had such a luxury afforded to me, and I could never ask for it; it seemed impossible.

Each week we talk about whether I'll leave or not, and a lot of weeks I don't go anywhere because we have a scheduling conflict, but about once a month I've taken advantage of this incredible opportunity to be "off the clock."

While I'm never completely off the clock, no parent is, it's so nice to just do whatever I want for a few hours. What would you do?

My first inclination is to go somewhere that serves coffee. I don't know what it is about drinking coffee that I love so much... I really do love it though. I wish I could drink it all day long, but my caffeine limit fills up pretty quickly.

I want to be somewhere quiet. I love the quiet. When my kids are gone, which is rarely, I just sit and soak it up. People say their house is too quiet when their kids are gone; I can't imagine that feeling. It's almost never quiet in my life. It's not that the kids are never quiet, because they are. For the most part, there is order. But the dishwasher, the dryer, the TV, the dogs, on top of the talking, giggling, yelling, stomping, tapping, whistling... there's always something. Mostly I love it, but sometimes it's too much and I need quiet.

I don't want to be in a crowd. I am always in a crowd. It's nice to just slip away and be invisible. Isn't that ironic? I have spent years of my life feeling invisible and despising it, and here I am enjoying it.

I found the perfect booth at the back of a local restaurant. They have wi-fi, and there is an electrical outlet right next to me to plug in my laptop. They serve coffee, good coffee, in coffee mugs with free refills. The TVs are on, but there is no sound. And, if I need it, which I'm sure I will, I can get frozen custard. Or a bacon cheeseburger. You know, whatever I need when it hits.

So here I am, I am here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days