A Week in Wonderland

2016 Evangelical Theological Society Annual Meeting
This year's theme: The Trinity

Maybe the thought of this doesn't make your heart race, but I've been dreaming about this week for months. Months and months. 
Last year, Atlanta, this year, San Antonio.

I made plans to spread the kids out into different households so that no one felt overwhelmed by the sheer numbers, and Dale and I left Sunday. 

The first night I went to bed at 8:30. I kid you not, I slept like a rock until 6am. No one woke me up all night long. I slept until my body woke me up. I don't remember the last time this happened.

We drove, so I had hours of quiet time. In an effort to not waste a single minute of this week, I made a list of things I wanted to do, and guess what. I did it all. Every. Single. Thing. Dude, sleep, finishing, does it get better than this??

Some of the exciting things I got done, maybe you're curious...
Shave legs. Check.
Dave and Busters with Dreamboat. Absolutely I did.
Paint toenails. Check.
Attend John Piper's Plenary Session. Boom.
Watch a makeup tutorial, Check.
Listen to something compelling! Like a boss.
Update worship files. 
Write. 
Read. 
Study. 
Pay bills. 
Make appointments. 
Make a plan for the Thanksgiving talent show at Mom's. 
Load pics from phone to computer. (this was a big one, since my phone spontaneously crashed this week!) 

PEOPLE! I feel like I can take on the world!! 

I went shopping, for as long as I wanted, in every store that I wanted to go into. 

I sat down at a table with Charles Spurgeon.

I ate at Whataburger.

My life is complete.

I made an effort to speak to every person I rode the elevator with, and I rode the elevator multiple times a day. This was fun because people act like they are alone when they are riding the elevator, unless they entered the elevator with someone they previously knew. Mostly people were very friendly and quick to respond to my efforts. Here's what I've learned, you can't start an interesting conversation with someone you don't know on the elevator or you'll make a fool of yourself when you almost miss your floor. AND it's very unsatisfying to end a good conversation so abruptly when the bell rings and the door opens. Mostly because you can't appropriately close the conversation. Like, you need those final words, "It was so nice to meet you, I hope you guys enjoy the next session, he's really good! Ok, I'll see you next time we win the elevator lottery! Haha, Ok, bye-bye now!" Instead you awkwardly toss out a, "Ok, have fun-" as the doors are closing. It's just wrong. When you do this social experiment, trust me. Keep it simple, and get a good closing line ready!


As incredible as this week has been, I'm ready to go home. I miss my people. I love having them all over, everywhere I look. Seriously. I'm ready to get back to my real life and take it by the horns. 

Bring on the HOLIDAY INSANITY!! It's the most wonderful time of the year!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days