The Love of God

One of the scriptures I read in the study recently was * 1 John 4:7-8 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.* This is a startling realization that forces me into some serious self-examination. I love God, and as a rule, I love people, but sometimes I find myself with a permanent scowl on my face out in the community. I don't hate everyone around me, but it seems I've become so cynical, just waiting for someone to cross me, that I'm ready to attack at any given moment. What does that say about the love of Christ in me? I shudder at the thought... how am I any different than anyone in the world?

I have really pondered this question and last night while I was studying, the last thing in the workbook said to read Ephesians 3:14-19 and personalize it as a prayer. This little exercise brought such clarity to me and relinquished the pressure to become a perfect reflection of the love of God overnight in my own strength.

...that You would grant me the strength with power through Your Spirit in the inner man

so that Christ may dwell in my heart through faith;

and that I, being rooted and grounded in love, (send my roots down and ground me more firmly in love!)

may be able to comprehend with all the saints

what is the breadth and length and height and depth,

and to know, really know, the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge,

and fill me up to all the fullness of God.

What is so amazing to me is the fact that we have the Word of God, the full, comprehensive, in our language, Word of God at our disposal. And here in just a few short verses, I am satisfied. My thirst is quenched. My hope for true satisfaction is restored because this answered a pondering of my heart that I had no answer to. The love of God is so beyond comprehension that we have to be taught how to understand it. Amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days