Doing What Suttons Do

Dale laughed when his dad pulled a lawn chair out of the car port and started to read a book, but it was no surprise to me when this place became our reprieve at the end of each day. It never occurred to us that this was exactly what we did back home, and maybe it's what we need to do more of here. Our neighbors are moderately reclusive so it's hard to not feel like we're sticking out like a sore thumb, but it didn't matter with Lonnie and Dana here. It just felt like home.
This is the Avila Barn's petting zoo. You can't really pet the animals because most of them are biters, and that only because they get fed from morning till night, day in and day out. What they know is that when little fingers come into the cage, little bits of garden scraps usually come with them. I do not enjoy visiting this part of the barn because most of the animals have abnormally distended bellies, which upsets me every time I see them. Then again, they have these sheep with this manly "baa" that just cracks me up; I love to hear them mbaa-mbaa-ing at us. It seriously sounds like a man's voice!
We didn't get a bag of scraps this time because I purposely avoided the pursuit, *note the above. Leila didn't mind though, because goats will eat hay, grass, leaves, pretty much anything that you stick in the cage. She had a ball rounding up random pieces of the yard to feed the little buggers.
Deisha was having so much fun right before this picture and then as soon as the camera snapped, I was the only one that seemed to really be enjoying myself watching the chickens.
She came around. Poor thing wet through all of her clothes and this was all I had to change her into. It was 85 degrees so I'm sure she appreciated something light anyway. I didn't dare wake her to change her diaper once she conked out; it seemed like it was days between naps. We did a lot of running around and it left her all out of sorts. She's resilient though- much more than her OCD mother.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days