a few of my favorite things

 



One of my favorite Christmas traditions from childhood is getting my stocking early on Christmas morning. I knew that it was my parents that bought the presents, but our stockings were empty when we went to bed on Christmas Eve and stuffed full on Christmas morning.


My mom is a master-crafter. She makes magic happen with felt and sequins and yarn and needles and thread and basically anything she sets her mind to. The pattern for our stockings has stayed the same for as long as I can remember. The stockings were only updated when they got holes in them or new people were added to our family. 


The first time my mom asked me to help her stuff stockings, I was an adult, and it stung a little. It was the first time I saw my stocking filled before Christmas Day. It was the last little flicker of Christmas magic to go out. 


I still get a flutter in my belly when I see those stockings all hung on the mantle. They represent the family heritage that I was born into. My parents have sacrificed endlessly in their lives to give me and my siblings a solid foundation to build our lives on, and also to keep that flicker of magic going. To say that I’m grateful isn’t enough. When I really think about it, I’m undone. I know that the spring of goodness in my life is a gift from God.


“Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!”

‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭9:15‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

https://www.bible.com/bible/100/2co.9.15.nasb1995


Comments

  1. Your mom is amazing! I love seeing all of your stockings together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days