Funny Stuff

1. For a year or two years or three I have been blogging and every time I post something new I crack up at this. I type in *www.bs* and up comes my blog and I think, "Hahaha. B.S." And then I fight away the urge to write about how funny I think that is and tonight I'm pulling out all the stops.

2. I'm pregnant.


3. I called my little brother tonight. We haven't talked much in the past year or six; I mean, we talk when we can but we are both extremely busy so when we get a chance to talk and we are both really up for the conversation, we talk for a long time. Well tonight he was ready to shoot the breeze and when I told him, he laughed right out loud, a deep rolling belly laugh, which thrilled my little heart to bits. Because that's what I did. I laughed. Just like Sarah. Just like I did the last three times I got pregnant by surprise in what I deemed at the time the hardest stage of my life. I still laugh when I talk about it. And what I think is so great about my little brother is that he laughed with me. It was genuine and sincere and the way he really felt about the whole ordeal.

A lot of people say a lot of cruel things to us about having so many children. People with no wits say, "You know how that happens right?" People with no sense say, "What are you gonna do?" People with no heart say a polite congratulations and then talk about how crazy you are not to *protect against these kinds of things*.

I expected all of these responses because I've gotten all of them on more than one occasion and I'll tell you right now, I don't care how nuts you think I am, for some reason God keeps rewarding us over and over and over again with children. I don't know why, I don't think it's fair sometimes because there are much more capable mothers out there than me that would do anything to have just one more baby. I am a terrible mother sometimes. I blow my top; I say awful things to my kids sometimes. I can be mean and insensitive and irresponsible and ugly to them; I always try to make it right, but the guilt overwhelms me and I wonder why I was given such a precious gift when my clumsy selfish idiocy breaks them to bits with things that I say. But when I am reasonable and calm and at peace with my place, I feel honored to be given such a charge in this life.

I wrote an email today and while talking about our zero responsibilities in our local church, I almost said that we weren't sure what God wanted to do with us yet. HA! He moved us out here two thousand miles from home to do a secular job with kingdom work and six lives to nurture and carefully tend into adulthood and *I'm not sure what God wants to do with us yet...* It's so easy to lose sight of what is so foundational when it is so intangible. Thank You, God, for such an honor. Remind me to do the work with delicate precision.

Comments

  1. Ok, here's my thought. Lindsey's first reaction was "How fun!".
    I laughed with you.
    Molly wants to know what you're going to name the new baby.

    Do you remember crying in my kitchen with me about something and to break the tension, you blurted out "I'm pregnant" and we had a good laugh? I don't remember which child that was but I remember that it made me quit crying about the problems in my life at the time and rejoice with you in the new life you would be welcoming.

    Here's a true heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS from a mother of five to a mother of six.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalms 127 and 128 have been the song on my lips for severals months now.
    What a beautiful, fruitful vine you are.
    Praise God for his faithfulness to us!
    :)
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're pregnant?
    I friggin' love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days