Home Schooling

It's always difficult for me to repress the squirm when someone asks me why I home school. I'm not embarrassed about it; I don't feel like we are sub-par because of our choice to educate our children at our dining room table. It's not a sore subject for any of us usually. But when someone who is pro-public education corners me with that question, I find it difficult to answer honestly without coming across undesirably. So I just want to put it out there.

There is a moral code, a system of values, that used to fuel education in this country that has been lost, or rather, obliterated along the way, and replaced with political correctness and moral relativism. I'm not looking for forgiveness on the subject, I just want to set the record straight. We have been given a charge to raise our children in the fear and admonition of the Lord and will not take that lightly. That includes not entrusting them for the majority of their day to be molded and shaped by the thinking of someone we don't know, using a system we don't trust, teaching values and theories that are polar opposites of our core beliefs.


This raises eyebrows and tensions, I know. I am taking a risk in expressing my position on this topic because I have good friends that teach and good friends that send their kids to public schools. I am not poo-pooing you. This is about me and us and the whys from where we are on the issue. The time will come to send our children to school, be it private or public, depending on where we land and how they fare. But for now, we have not found a place lauded by those involved enough to consider for our children. It just hasn't happened.

With that said, let me tell you, it is O-VER-WHEL-MING! FOUR SYLLABLES!!!! This, my first year to teach four grades, and my first year of teaching with an on-line academy; it is blowing my hair back. I tend to be a little bit of an over-achiever; if you know me, you know this about me. I want my kids to learn every detail of every lesson that I teach. And if they don't, I want them to get the gist of it. And if they don't, I want them to at least look at me while I'm trying to sound really interesting to keep their attention. And if they don't, well that's where it gets a little fuzzy.

I am not very patient. I am not a great teacher. I am not highly intelligent. And I don't like to be blown off. These things work against me in ways that I have difficulty controlling. Which is why I am thankful for the flexibility of our circumstances, allowing me to drop what we're doing and initiate gym class or music or snack time or nap time or jumping jacks, whatever the situation calls for.

Please pray for me. I am also hormonal, and hungry, and exhausted after eight hours of sleep and mostly I just want to snuggle up on the couch and read stories to the children and call it a day. Can someone call the principle and ask if that's OK? Maybe not for all year, or even all semester, but maybe he could just cut me some slack for a week or two and then we'll, you know, be really good and work hard after that and stuff...

This was delivery day. They were so excited about all the things we would be studying and learning and doing that several times I heard them say, "This is just like Christmas!" and "This is the best school ever!"

It really is. They all have their own little idiosyncrasies and I wonder how they would be addressed in a traditional classroom setting. I also wonder how much they would miss as a result of those things, when here at home, I can hone in on them and correct them a little everyday because I can spot them so easily.

Nothing worth doing is ever without a price, I'm just a little broke in the required toll this week. It'll be better next week, especially if we get the go ahead on the story-time thing. That'll be great.

Comments

  1. Dear b,
    First of all, big congrats on the new baby. I think six is an excellent number of children.

    Second, as a homeschool mom myself, all I can say is "You go girl!" I'm down to one student at my house. The oldest one, my graduate, is at an internship. He sings the praises of homeschool and intends to do the same with his kids.

    Any teacher can teach a subject. Only I will put in the effort to teach my child. My youngest has Aspergers, so this is a big deal for us. I have more than just knowledge to impart to my child. And, all of it, comes from the one person in the world who loves them most. That is awesome isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont be apologetic about who you r and what u do. We have no reason to do so - because we live our lives on the principles of the Bible. We didn't make this up. I love u, u r doing a wonderful job and I cant wait to come home and "be" with you. Miss you - Chap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Principal Katy says "Take a three week leave of absence", assign each kid a project. The first week the two older each get a foot to pedicure, and the two youngest get a hand to manicure(Leila can help), the next week swap, and then week three swap again. They each have to write a one page essay about why they dont want to me a pedicurist or a manicurist...LOL

    YOU HAVE MY FULL PERMISSION, maybe for the last week you can send them to me, my feet and hands could use it too!

    I admire you. I would never have the patience to homeschool..You rock, you are a great Mom, even if I have never seen you in "Mommy Action", though one of these days we have to make that a priority. Your six and my three sometimes four? YOWSERS!!

    Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, we are doing something different...we are saying, "not with my children you don't" and we are holding ourselves responsible to God for our children's education...big task right? Thank God for his grace on us mommies. Keep your chin up and know God just keeps piling those heaps of grace on us over and over again. It's so awesome that we get to see that grace spill over onto our children.
    :)
    Karla
    Ps...how is Dale's new job going...and can I email you privately?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days