A Formal Farewell

There's bittersweet air about us as we say our final farewell to football. Today is the superbowl and we lost our tickets to our loss last weekend. Today is the party where all the kids will get trophies and run around together just for fun, probably for the first time since the season started. When I found out we'd have practice everyday for the first five week and then games all over the state every weekend, I went a little cuckoo. But once we got the groove, I looked forward to being out in the cool of the day with the sun shining because I could just sit and watch while the kids ran and played and screamed and wrestled with the other siblings. It was a little intimidating at first too, to have to load the troops at 5:30 in the cold to drive long distances to watch our peewees play games, but that too just became part of the routine. Now that it's all said and done, I'm a little sad that I won't have all the same kids to cheer for next time, or the same parents to labor with through the season. But I'm also relieved that we will have a few Saturdays to rest before basketball takes off. I don't know if I'd have ever done it if I hadn't watched my good friend, full-time business woman, single mom to five do it for years, running all five in different directions like it was as natural as breathing. She gives me hope and joy in this season of life; the running season. And it's a good thing because we're looking forward to about fifteen years of it.
So long football; thanks for the memories.

Comments

  1. I am so glad you are on to basketball - now that is good sport. Have a great time chasing and cherish the memories!! You actually are very good at that. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about what their interests are that will make you get up and go when it seems an impossible task.
    I always tell the kids, "whatever sport you are in right now is my favorite". I never liked baseball until my kids started playing and never in my wildest dreams thought I would look forward to a band concert.
    You're going to be busy anyway, it may as well be with four kids in tow, supporting the one playing his sport.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days