Closure


At least we still have this...


This gap between Christmas and the new year is always bitter sweet. Leila still cheers and makes scary ghost sounds every time she sees a pumpkin, so I'm sure she'll morn the disappearance of Santa Clause's face everywhere we go. It's sad, but it will make next year all the more magical when the season rolls around again.


In the keeping with the spirit of starting new, I stripped the walls and yard of all the festive decor of season today. I can't believe how bare the walls are; as ready as I am to box it all up for the year, it still makes me a little sad to put it all away. Every year I wish there was a way I could keep the merriment year-round, only making the efforts seasonally neutral, not just a celebration of Christmas. Of course there are always other holidays, but you know... it's just not the same.
On the other hand, Dale was relieved to see it go. He loves the decorations as much as I do, but he also suffers mildly from claustrophobia in our dollhouse-type living conditions. We have both become minimalists almost to an extreme, so bare white walls and empty corners give him a bit more room to breathe. For me it's the clean feeling that makes up for the emptiness. I am making great progress in my household organization, so having one more major task completed brings added joy to my simple life.

While I was putting everything into boxes and carrying it out, I flashed back to my life in Nebraska, part one. We were surprised to learn that Jasmine was spinning to life just six months after we had Micah and it knocked me off my feet a little bit. I can't remember when we put the tree up, but I remember asking my friend if it was too early to do it in the first week of November. She laughed, and laughed, and laughed. I think I waited and ended up not putting it up until just a week or two before Christmas because by that time I was huge and miserable and decidedly lazy. My sister came for a weekend sometime later, long after Christmas was over, and I remember feeling incredibly embarrassed when she said, "Do you want me to take your Christmas stuff down?" I knew it needed to be done, but I just wasn't doin' it.
Been a long time since 'dem days. I love being able to function relatively normally. (My back is nearly back to normal. Thank you for your prayers!) I'm grateful that Dale doesn't fuss over me when I'm pregnant because I've found that it makes me powerless in the war against myself. I need to know that I have some accountability and what the expectations are because baby, I'm weak, and without it I'm worthless. *but let's not tell him that!*

I tried to take a few pictures of my vintage snowflakes and paper chains, but it was just too dark to get a good shot in the hall, so you'll have to just come see it next year. I'm sure I'll do it just the same, I loved it so much. Here are a few pictures you might enjoy just because.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days