Family...

I gotta tell you, I'm getting worse and worse about snapping pictures. In the entire week with my in-laws, I didn't take a single picture! And then on Christmas morning, I got the video camera out for a few minutes and that was that. I was so busy untangling the web of wire the put into each box that I wouldn't have had much of a chance to anyway. I am sure we'll remember each Christmas specific to where we are and who came. This year Christmas morning seemed a little- dare I say it- daunting after everyone left. I had to give myself a little pep talk and remember that sometimes it's us against the world and we have a life together, regardless of where the extensions of our family may be. I missed you all terribly and am still teary thinking about the entire holiday season so far from home. But we made the very best of it and I am thankful again for the abundance of God's blessing on our home.

We woke up early to lots of shuffling feet and loud whispers, debating over whether to wake us up or not. It was Christmas just like I had growing up: stockings first, presents next, then breakfast and milling through the trash looking for missing parts and instructions. This year we decided to make one big purchase for the family and then buy just a few small things for each kid. I have wanted to buy a trampoline for a few years, but we were never quite sure the kids were old enough. And we all know how feeble my dexterity is, unfortunately that is hereditary and a few of my kids are equally accident prone. So this year, after they have had lots of experience on the neighbors trampoline, and hours of entertainment there, we decided it was time. I started watching the papers and found one at Wal-Mart for a couple hundred dollars less than what the sports stores had theirs listed for. At about nine o'clock, I dressed in warm clothes and Kennedy and I commenced construction on the new toy. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but at one o'clock I was ready to curl up in the corner with a blankey and cry. We couldn't tell if the ground was level under the completed project, so we started to turn it and it bowed. I mean really bowed, like a shallow taco. Much to my dismay, we took it completely apart and started again. With the neighbors' help and bloody hands, I finished the enclosure at five o'clock and finally had a chance to sit down.

The house looked like Santa's sleigh had made a crash landing in the living room. I had also gotten some left-overs out for lunch before Dale left for work and all the dishes were still spread out through the kitchen and dining room. The trash was piled in every room and the doors had been open so it was cold in the house. I was completely exhausted, but no one was going to take care of the disaster area unless I got up off the couch, so I did and when Dale came home it was back in functioning order.

It was a fun Christmas. I'm ready to take down the decor now, I've had my fill. But by summer I'll be anxious to get started on the festivities again. Maybe the promise of new life in our home will deter my tunnel vision for a few months. The only thing I missed was a Christmas Eve candlelight communion. Usually we have somewhere to go for it, but since Dale had to work all morning, we didn't want to spend the evening away from home leaving little time for our traditions, so we opted for a small communion with the kids and read the Christmas story after the parade of homes with lights tour. They even gave out candy canes to the cars driving through! It was thrilling to say the least. It made me sad to see the driveways full of cars and people sitting around little fire pits in their front yard, drinking coffee together and bustling around with the excitement of the holiday. I miss it so much, having a driveway full of cars and a houseful of extra family, but those days will come again soon enough. For now we'll savor these moments of just us knowing we'll remember them fondly someday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days