It's a strange feeling

Let me start by saying this is an image I found on Flicker that resembled what we saw driving home on Wednesday, only it wasn't across a farm field, the billows were bigger, and there was an entire city separating us from the blaze. It seemed curious to us, but we went along our merry way into Target for our weekly extravaganza. When we got back in the car, Dale had a message to load up our precious belongings and plan on spending the night away from home. The fires were just a few miles from our housing area and the winds were sending them hurling closer and closer to our house.

I can't tell you everything that went through my mind. First things first, I started to devour the Chili's leftovers that were sitting safely in my lap only moments before the news came. Next I thought of our dogs. The highway was closed to our house so we'd have to take the long way home and what if we didn't get there in time to get them out? Then it occurred to me that I've never finished the renter's insurance policy that I set out the get. We don't have a lot of stuff, but it would complicate things if all of our clothes and shoes burned up in the fire.

Mostly all I could think of was how we could get home. It's on my mind everyday. It never goes away. I try not to indulge myself by bemoaning the fact that we are so far away, but it is a constant. I want to be there. I'd rather deal with a tornado than a fire any day, not because the severity is any different, but because it means our locale is more familiar. Please pray for us. We need to get there. My sister is going to be getting married soon and will have babies in her not so distant future! My children are growing up before my eyes. I don't want them to establish roots here and then decide they'd rather live their lives here when we're there. And more than any of these things, I want to see my mom's sweet face more often than special occasions.

I'm thankful that for now, we are safe from fires. I'm hoping that we'll ditch this modern-day Sodom and Gomorrah before the whole thing goes up in smoke.

FYI! I did not take this picture!

Comments

  1. When we prayed for you and the fires, my students said,"Are they packing up to come here?" Even they know how badly we need your sweet faces here!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days