My darlings

I’ve lived in the basement for seven years. We moved out of our first-ever master bedroom out of necessity for the accountability and security of all of our people. It was easier to manage a baby and two toddlers that way, too. Teenagers upstairs, little ones down.



I spent those years dutifully picking up after the tv parties every night, wiping down the toilet before I sat on it every time, and buried in blankets because, well, it was a basement. We had no walls, no door, minimal privacy and no end in sight. The little girls moved upstairs at one point leaving me hopeful, but one of our grown children needed a layover here between career paths, and we happily welcomed her in.

All this time I prayed that someday the Lord, in His infinite mercy, would restore to me walls and a door and privacy. Dale was content to stay in the basement, hoping to make it a private refuge, the whole lot of it. I was not on the same page, but I was willing to stay if he had his heart set on it.

Then the shift happened, and our bigs all moved away, and the Lord changed my sweet husbands heart. He was ready to make the climb with me. We painted, laid flooring and hauled our furniture up the basement steps again. We bought chairs for the corners so we would have a place to read and write. At long last, we are able to shut our door. I feel so blessed by God, I can hardly contain it. My heart is full, my mind is a peace, and my room stays clean because there are no TV parties every night.

Something has happened that surprised me, something I never expected. I love it when the kids come in and sit in my chair and pile up on my bed and hang out in here. It’s cozy and lovely and it makes my heart sing. Thank you, Lord. You continue to dumbfound me with Your goodness.

Lvb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days