Bargains

I find myself struggling to remember the things that really make me feel good. This life affords me such little energy for myself that sometimes I just get bummed and need a pick me up. Typically this is when I start rummaging through the cabinets for something sweet or a hot pizza, but with our lifestyle renovations, my stomach doesn't tolerate pizza very well and sweets are nowhere to be found- not the ones I'm looking for anyway, like hot fudge brownie sundaes.

So in the course of my week I make mental notes of the simple things that pick me up, with the extra baggage and hormones of this pregnancy, that is no easy task. This week I went out on my solo morning adventure while Dale was home with the kids and made the normal rounds: Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Vons, Goodwill. Goodwill left me feeling especially cheery after not so cheery a week, and then on my way home from Vons, I was darn right giddy, and this is why.

I LOVE BARGAINS!!!

Nothing makes me happier than finding good deals, especially on clothes and food. Initially I only had one thing in mind to purchase at Vons, that's the higher end grocery chain here similar to Hy-Vee, only with more of a west coast feel. They had Coke Zero on sale for $5.99 a case (24 pack). Diet sodas are a commodity around here and when we start running low, the patriarch starts to fret a little, so I went in to buy some of those and nothing else. Then I mistakenly perused the meat department and found whole pork loins on sale for $1.97 a pound, cut into 15 pork chops and a pork tenderloin! They had steaks 50% off, beef roasts, and tri-tip all really cheap, so I loaded the cart. Then I found Cheez-Its, buy one get one free, and then after that I ran for the check-out because I knew I wouldn't get out without a cart full if I didn't just stop right there. It was very exciting. So instead of the budgeted $5.99 I intended to spend, I ended up spending $68, but I also saved $62. It was quite thrilling for me. And then at Goodwill, I thought I'd just check out their kids' jeans because Jasmine is right between sizes and hates to fuss with belts, so I needed to find her some skinnier styles so that we can eliminate the battle we have every morning when she comes out in the same thing she wore the day before because it's the *only thing that fits!* I ended up finding four pairs of jeans for her, really cute ones from Limited Too and the Glo line, found one pair for Leila that still had tags on it from Target, a pair of jeans, khaki cargo pants, and a cardigan (that will stretch around my protruding stomach) for me and ended up spending twenty bucks! These are little things that give me a boost. I love bargains.

During every pregnancy I go through this slump where if I feel like time is moving at half speed and I analyze everything in my life and around me, all the things I haven't done, the worth of what I'm doing, the things I wish I could change, you know, the normal thoughts of a woman with a houseful of kids and no life outside these walls. Sometimes it leaves me feeling... a little desperate. Remember me saying it's a highlight in my routine when the electricity goes out? Yeah, it's like that. Clearly I'm not spending enough time reading or studying or meditating on the things that are good and pure and right and lovely and worth the time the consider them. But don't worry, I'll get back to that. I will. I always do.

Comments

  1. It is so great to hear from you - I will call soon - seems like our life is on full speed and I can't get off. I am so thankful for the Goodwill and the simple joy it brings!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days