Anger

A couple of weeks ago I enrolled the kids in AWANAs so that they would have a midweek activity that all of them can be involved in and make friends. I expected to be able to sit in the lobby and read a book while they went to their classes, but the pastor leads a regular service during that time, so instead I decided to sit in.


The worship is more intimate in this setting. One thing is the leader; he's an average singer, but a powerful worshipper. His heart is so pure in the position that it promotes a true attitude of worship in the body, thus producing a corporate focus completely separate from his ability or personality. This is a rare treasure. Our pastor teaches expositionally Sunday mornings as well as Wednesday nights, which I always appreciate. You know what to expect and he is thorough with the text, which is also rare.


I don't know what it was about last week that struck me so deeply, but I was especially moved during worship to a place of deep humility and vulnerability. In that attitude I decided that I would make sort of a confession after the service to the pastor's wife and ask her to pray for me that God would deliver me from sinning in my anger, this plague that has compounded week by week and becoming a sort of ticking bomb, exploding with no predictable trigger. It was settled in my heart and as I dodged the greeting time, I felt hopeful for my meager estate. God had seen my desperation to be free and would make a way for my deliverance.


As our pastor began his message, the first point he made I'll never forget. He said, "From what we've learned in this study of Ecclesiastes, we know that the strength of wisdom is not in what you know, it's in applying what you know to how you live." BAM! Point taken.


The text of the message was Ecclesiastes 10:4 If the ruler's temper rises against you, do not abandon your position, because composure allays great offenses. I sat there in disbelief for a few minutes as the theme turned from the strength of wisdom to dealing with anger in wisdom. How could it be that here I am, more ready to really receive the message than I have ever been since we arrived in out here, and here is the message, perfectly tailored to meet my need.


If a ruler, or person of position over you comes at you in anger, don't flee, don't puff up against him, but stand your ground, maintain your composure. Another versoin says consiliation pacifies great offenses. Wikipedia says, "Most successful conciliators are highly skilled negotiators." The definition in Websters dictionary says "pacify, to gain friendship." This is a much different approach to someone laying into you than what comes naturally, to bark back and defend yourself.


He continued with Ephesians 4 starting in verse 20 about laying aside the old man and putting on the new man. These words struck me: Ephesians 4:26-27 Be angry, and do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil. And Ephesians 4:31-32 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave you.

It was startling. I know these verses in Ephesians, I've read them countless times, but it was the simple message and such a practical application to my current situation that it really struck me. I needed to find a remedy and here is was in black and white. Asking the pastor's wife to pray for me sounded good, but my confession needed to be to my children, the object of my offense. Beyond that I needed a step-program to guide me out of this pattern, and there it was echoing over the PA system.

Ephesians 4:23 be renewed in the spirit of your mind, the vital step in the grand scheme of all of this. If I do not daily renew my mind, what is there to replace the old man and all of his trophies? Only the Word of God can renew my mind and if I drown the flesh in it day by day, I will reap a harvest on new birth in my life.

The challenge came at the end to apply these principles to one area of your life everyday for 28 days, thus permanently modifying the habitual behavior, whether it be lying, stealing, anger, etc. I'm taking the challenge and also passing it on. God has given us everything we need for life and godliness so there's no reason to live in defeat. I'll post at the end of my 28 days and let you know when the mountain has crumbled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days