Mothers Day, WOO!!!!

I have this really great mom. As a kid I don't think I ever acknowledged how wonderful she was. I certainly didn't make it easy for her by any stretch, I only gave her severe guilt when I felt that my argument was stronger than her silence. God has this funny way of bringing things back around, and now that I've managed to take ownership of her shoes and found myself journeying on her path, there is no denying it. She is really great. Amazing, actually. And I really love her.

I married this really dreamy guy. One of the things about him that made my heart flutter was listening to him talk about his mom; the dude loved his mom and made no bones about it. Now that she's a part of my family I get it. She's lovey; you can't not love her. And I really love her too.

On my first mothers day I stood up on the stage at First Assembly of God Life Centre in Emporia as a newly wed just a few months pregnant. I had a chance to ask some of the older, more experienced mothers for advice. I didn't have any questions about parenting yet, so I asked what I could do about my stretch marks. Everyone laughed for several minutes and to this day I'm not sure if I should be embarrassed about that question. I'm thankful to be years past that and have a little experience under my belt now.

I will say this about motherhood, it is the most gratifying and soul-stripping experience that I have had to date. In the first few weeks, you are flooded with the adoration of an awe-struck husband that is more in love with you and this little bundle than you have ever seen him. You have your own emotions coming in giant waves of euphoria and insecurity; I remember every time I made eye contact with Kennedy for more than a second, I cried because I loved her so much and was terrified at the same time. Then the night time comes, the deprivation of sleep comes, and all the sudden everything you've been waiting for and living for in this baby, you are ready to toss out the window. Talk about highs and lows. And it doesn't stop after the baby starts sleeping, it just changes.

For me, knowing that this is what I was designed for makes it that much more satisfying. All I've ever wanted in this life was to be a wife and mother, to have my own family to nurture. That's what I've got. Funny, at any given moment I may jump out of this chair and stomp into another room to take apart a fight or bark orders, but it's my life; highs and lows usually in the same few minutes. And I really love it.

So here's to all of you Moms. May the blessings of your children fill your life with depth and joy and character and mercy. xoxo b

Comments

  1. This mom really loves you. I couldn't be prouder of you!sherry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days