quarantine

March 21, 2020

My girls are all writing "end of the world" memoirs. I'm sitting in some of the richest happiness I've felt inside these walls for a long time. If I die in this chapter, I'll die happy and full.

Quarantine hasn't officially started for our city, but it's very, very close. The grocery store shelves are bare, the streets look like a ghost town, and the mayor of Kansas City announced a "stay at home order" today. Effective Tuesday at midnight, except for gas, medicine, and groceries, you are supposed to stay home.

This morning, like every morning this week, I got up slowly. Checked my email, bank balance, Facebook, and texted my sister. I made coffee, began prayer and meditation. It takes a mountain of focus to read a single prayer and make any sense of it. I read it anyway. Before COVID-19 I was meditating for five minutes easily, but now five minutes feels like an hour. What is happening??

Laundry, the boys baths, ironing, breakfast, which was a banana and egg casserole from dinner last night. I've been doing a workout video that is embarrassingly dorky, but it's easy so I keep doing it. I want to do something physical every day, hoping it will help me to sleep at night.

A shower, an hour on Facebook, and a game of Spoons with these tiny Peter Pan playing cards and the kids. Music… the music blasting makes every room a dance party. It's vital.

Dale came home as I was starting dinner, Shrimp and Asparagus Pasta and Garlic Bread (hot dog buns with butter and garlic, toasted under the broiler). Tonight I baked a chocolate cake, because I think we all need something to look forward to at the end of the day. After all, let them eat cake! Clinton asked me who's birthday it was. I almost never bake chocolate cake unless we are celebrating something. We all sat around the table and ate chocolate cake like it was another meal. I can't tell you how much I love sitting around the table with all my house people multiple times a day.

Dr. Mario was a hilarious competition that continues to roar in the basement as I write.

I feel some of the feelings I felt reading Anne Frank for the first time back in grade school.  There was a sense of closeness that I was missing in my real life, that sweet Anne had a firm grasp on in hiding. I am grateful that our quarantine is for safety of another brand altogether,

Maybe it's too much to include all these details, but it helps to think that I'll need to look back to remember these strange and ominous days, because someday they'll only be a distant memory.

lvb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days