the beginning of COVID-19




Last night I stopped by Price Chopper to get some extra groceries. Just in case. Just in case this novel coronavirus quarantines us to our houses or shuts down the economy, we should have some extra bags of cereal and milk. Maybe bread. Can’t hurt.


As I was loading the groceries in the car, I saw a guy from church and said hello. Then I got a text. "Kansas City was declared to be in a State of Emergency. Get more”. Back in I went.


I’ve seen It’s a Wonderful Life. I know what “a run” looks like. I didn’t think this was a run. Until I saw the checkout lines. As I scrambled around the store collecting essentials; flour, milk, potatoes, pasta, marinara, pop tarts, toilet paper, I passed the guy that I had seen in the parking lot. He said,
“Didn’t I just see you loading groceries into your car?”


Heh. Heh. Yeah… I felt the heat rising in my neck as I explained the text, finishing with, “Might as well feed the hysteria, right?” I knew what I was doing might have seemed crazy. But what if it wasn’t?


We’re doing the best we can over here, washing our hands like surgeons, drinking grape juice, and adding more vegetables to our lives. I know you are, too. Just remember, when you get overwhelmed with the news and the empty shelves, we’re all in this together.


lvb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days