Another day in Paradise

Leila was awake this morning when I got up and jumped in the shower. After I threw my clothes on, I woke up the kids and started packing our two-bedroom suite. My plan was to get to the storage unit by eight so as not to upset our consistently volitile mover, who wanted to start unloading at 7am. Dale wasn't as concerned about it, considering the amount of money we paid to have him drive and our schedule took precidence over his mood.

We skipped continental breakfast due to the crowds and ran through a drive-thru on our way to the storage unit. At 8:30 there was no sign of him, to my relief. A few minutes later he called to let us know he was in stopped traffic about an hour away. We cruised the town, went to Wal-Mart, drove some more, talked about going to the beach, and got another call an hour later to let us know he wouldn't be there till noon.

Knowing we'd be the only ones there to unload was looming over our heads and it almost tipped the scales as we spent another hour in the car after our three day journey, driving aimlessly to kill time. We decided we should probably get a hotel room since we didn't have arrangements for the next week and being in the truck all night as well as all day was not a desirable option, so Dale went back to the place we stayed two nights prior and tried to talk them down on our room. The thought of spending the said price for a little bit of breathing room was nearly unbearable. They offered a discounted rate but it was still not realistic for five nights. Barrelling through our hesitations, we agreed we should check the Motel 6. After the first room we stayed in smelled like a nursing home, we quickly learned that we should preview the rooms before we pay, so Dale brought me two keys and said to check them out.

As I ventured through the courtyard, I had to step corn cobs and mashed potatoes that had been thrown out on the stairs. The rooms were clean and for smoking rooms, not terribly smokey, so I thought it would be worth the money we'd save. But then as I pulled the door closed behind me I noticed an empty case of beer in front of our neighbors door. That made me nervous; I just don't know this place well enough to trust the Motel 6 yet, so I decided to loosen my pinch on the pennies and go with door number one.

Dale, with his gift of persuasion, went in a third time to talk to the consierge of our original hotel and told him our sad story hoping to gain their favor and get a little more money off the price of the room. I can't be sure, but according to my estimation, we got the room for around $50 off the normal price per night. Whew. They have a nice continental breakfast and an evening reception with hot dogs and nachos for suite guests. *hell-o-o, that's two free meals for a family of seven; and I'd say a no brainer!*

Let me just make a clarification. I packed two large totes full of the kids' clothes for this trip, thinking it'd be practical. It wasn't, so I borrowed two huge duffle bags from my brother and sister-in-law and repacked to create a little space in our truck. Every time we change rooms, we have to reload the car with a pack-n-play, four huge duffel bags, two bags of toiletries, and 6 pillows and comforters, *we all like our blankies* not to mention the portable grocery supply of snacks and the cooler for milk and an endless supply of cold sodas and waters. It's no simple task. SO you can imagine my initial response after scrambling to get our belongings loaded early this morning, when I found out we didn't even check out of our room when they negotiated the price and gave it to us for the remainder of the week. Hahahaha. Same room. We really did just laugh and drag all our loot back up to the third floor. It's good exercise, just like unloading the truck would be.

Rocker, our driver, showed up right after we got back in the car to go to lunch so I dropped Dale off to help set up the ramp and went after food for the kiddos. We got back at 12:30 and I kid you not, the two of us unloaded all that stuff in two hours. WOOP WOOP! I love teamwork. I have to admit I was a little jealous of Brooke when she and Josh hoisted that two-ton couch with brute strength and intimate teamwork. At the same time watching them empowered me to accomplish this overwhelming task with Dale and it proved to be the very same intimate teamwork that I saw in them.

It was 60 degrees all day but we thought we deserved a swim after our hard work so we all jumped in the heated pool and then to the hot tub when it was just too cold. Dinner was Fish and Chips, so super yummy! And then we drove through the mountains for an hour. I can't wait to show you!!! This life out here is just breathtaking. Californians have this reputation of being laid back and I never thought much about it until we got here and were sitting on the beach watching the tide roll in. I scolded one of the kids for something and it felt wrong, like it would upset the natural order if I spoke harshly. While we were driving down this country road talking about how many different colored wild flowers there were, climbing and descending all the way, I had a piece of old gum in my mouth that I would normally just toss out the window, but I couldn't do it! I waited and waited, chomping away until I could throw into a trash can because it just felt wrong.

It's more than beautiful, it's the handiwork of God; the sound of the ocean must resemble his heart somehow; it's so untamed and yet so perfectly ordered. It changes you and inspires you and makes everything seem so small in comparrison. What a gift.

Comments

  1. The new price of the nice hotel had to outweigh the frustration of the futile packing and unpacking in the same room. Stay strong, it'll just get better.

    Your new hometown sounds wonderful!
    Love you and take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go - i am so proud of you guys - just keep prodding away. do the next thing. Thanks for keeping us posted. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are that close to the ocean? I am simply jealous. We lived four hours from the ocean, and we only saw it about three times in seven years. Californians have a way different way of life than you are used to. You will hear the phrase "right on" alot of the time, as well as many other choice phrases. And in six months they will be part of your vocabulary most likely. They are the accent of California.

    I wish I could see you again, it has been way too long!!

    Best of luck to your and your family during this transition.

    KatyCat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear b,
    When I was almost four, my dad got out of the Navy and we moved back to Texas. That was home for them, a strange planet for met. On the way "home", they took a two week vacation. At every motel we stayed at, I informed the most sympathetic person I could find, usually grandmas, that "We don't have a home." It was true of course, but my parents were horrified and embarrassed. So, my dad decided to illustrate our situation better. He took pennies out and showed where we used to live, where we were that day, and where Texas is. Upon arriving in Texas, my parents kept introducing me to strange people named grandma, and cousins, and aunts, etc. They would put out paper plates at each stop to show me where I was. However, the paper plates reminded me of Hansel and Gretel. I just thought, "These people are as lost as I am and without those plates we'd never find our home." Being homeless can be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days