First Day of School!!!

I have to tell you, this is the first year, in all of my seven-ish years of homeschooling, that I have felt hopeful about the school year.  Don't get me wrong, I have been excited before, but that's not saying much. This year I have a different perspective, a new outlook.  I have a general sense of okayness. 

With that said, we had a relatively predictable first day of chaos and disorder.  The difference was that this year there was no yelling, no one cried, and I don't feel like eating a whole carton of butter brickle ice cream to settle my nerves.  I feel good. 

What changed, you may ask?  My fetters were loosed.  The expectation of educating five children at five grade levels blew my mind, and it fettered me, so I cut it off.  The idea that it was necessary to teach math, English, science, history, grammar, spelling, reading, and writing on a daily basis fettered me too, so I let that one go.  The fact that every fifteen seconds someone interrupts what I am saying to ask me a question fetters me.  Actually that one drives me over the cliff.  (It's a part of my vocation that I struggle with every day, all day long, and I have yet to embrace it.  I discourage it, really.  I may have been quoted recently in saying, "Please don't ask me unnecessary questions!!" after one of my children bombed me with ridiculous questions for fifteen minutes and then laughed and said it was just a joke.)  By planning fewer lessons and organizing the necessary lessons differently I have been able to curb the interruptions while I am working one-on-one.  The space helps too.  Instead of being dog piled into one area we are able to spread out.  It's a welcome change. 

Victoria Botkin really drew me into greener pastures with her "Curriculum Advice" lecture series. Her whole approach, after schooling seven children, is to relax.  Don't focus on grade levels, busy work, and achievement tests.  Spend time being creative and allowing for discovery. 

After graduating with a 4.0 and little recollection of the prior years' learning, I have come to realize that my deepest understanding came from a hunger to learn, and the quest following that hunger.  If I can trigger that in my children, they will sprout a love for learning that may prove to be lifelong.  If I am hostile and tyrannical in our daily lessons this dream will never become a reality.  It's not a race, it's a diligent investment, and with that in mind, I think I can.  I think I can.  I think I can, but only by the grace of God. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days