It's Something That I Love

There's nothing miraculous about one of our church services, if you think about it with an American mindset and consider the freedom to worship a given.  It's just that our meeting are really precious to me.  I don't mean to keep coming back to this, but I have prayed for such a long, long time for this very thing that I can't seem to get away from this gratuitous frame of mind.  All these other things that trip me up pale in comparison to being part of this precious fellowship.  It's the accountability, the teaching, and the functionality that I love.

Last week at Bible study, I laid all my cards on the table, so to speak.  I have shared a lot of things in our circle of ladies, but I always strategically position myself behind what's left of the wall that keeps me safe from being completely vulnerable.  In my heart I believe that we'll be here forever and there's nothing to lose by sharing my real, true self, but in my knower I'm pretty sure there is a reason to keep what's left of the wall in place.  For whatever reason, this time when it came to my turn to share I just let it all out.  Starting with the way that I talk to my kids.  I was trying all these alternative routes to changing my attitude toward them and nothing was working so I just spilled my guts about how awful I am everyday in response to countless questions and constant requests for attention.  Usually when I talk to someone about this, we laugh about it and relate perfectly to one another because it is so common.  I explain it away as normal, never giving sin it's full credit therefore nothing changes.  This time one of the women in the group blasted me with reproof.  Her tone was so severe that I get goosebumps every time I think about it.  She spoke from a heart of love, and it was exactly what I needed to hear. I am thankful for such action because it has initiated change in my behavior and my prayer life concerning this matter. 

In our church meetings we have been studying 1 Peter.  The last few verses of the first chapter and the first three of the second teach a remarkable doctrine that I have never heard or been taught in all my years of church-going.  Let me just share it with you.  It says:

1 Peter 1:22 "Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart,

23 for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.

24 For, "ALL FLESH IS LIKE GRASS, AND ALL ITS GLORY LIKE THE FLOWER OF GRASS. THE GRASS WITHERS, AND THE FLOWER FALLS OFF, 25 BUT THE WORD OF THE LORD ENDURES FOREVER." And this is the word which was preached to you.

2:1 Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander, 2 like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation, 3 if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord."

God has instilled in us this love for one another, those who are in Christ, along with our new hearts at conversion.  What happens now is that Christ commands us to LOVE ONE ANOTHER FERVENTLY FROM THE HEART.  This kind of love is not an "intentional handshake at greeting time" love.  It's a love that forgives, it is unconditional.  It works in practical ways to show and build depth of love.  It doesn't fade.

The next verses talk about the imperishable seed that we have been born of: the Word of God, the GOSPEL OF CHRIST.  This love will not fade or go away; we are in it for the long haul together.  Essentially, Jesus commands us to love one another with this love that never fades.  This command is only second to loving God wholly!  It is not something that we try to do or want to do, but that we HAVE TO DO.  It is serious stuff!

And further, "putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander." We have to get all of this out of our vernacular, it cannot abide in our fellowship if we truly, fervently love one another.  Instead, "long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation..."  We have tasted the goodness of God, now crave more of Him and His word!  It's so good.

It's not that I wasn't always taught the golden rule, but the emphasis on this directive was never taught in this way.  It's critical.  One of the reasons Christ redeemed us to himself was to love His body, the church.  What an amazing gift He has given to us in giving us one another! 

Finally I have to share how I am seeing the functionality of this passage even now, played out in our fellowship.  We've been having church here at our house for several weeks now.  There has not been one Sunday that everyone left and I had to work to get the house back in order.  Usually I don't even realize the kitchen is being cleaned up until it's almost done.  People just get up and start working.  After a buffet-style meal for forty people, that's a huge blessing.  I never expect it, and I am always grateful.  It is a small act of love and service that means so much to me. 

I pray that each of you find yourselves in a fellowship of believers that truly loves one another, even if there are only a few together.  It makes the journey such a joy rather than an uphill siege.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days