Something beautiful

I got a few messages from my dreamy
Dreamboat today that things had gone from bad to worse at work. When he got home I suggested we take a drive to Richmond to visit his mama. Being at her house brings him comfort that nothing else can. He was happy to oblige, and we hit the road almost as soon as he pulled in.

We were greeted with warmth and cheers and hugs and food. The longer we sat, the more people showed up. The smell of the grill and cigarette smoke wafted in and out of the garage where we sat around a long folding table covered by a festive vinyl tablecloth. I grew up with those smells from my grandparents' house. It takes me back to so many happy memories that I drink it in.

There were half-full water bottles in front of every other chair. A few plates were scattered among the various things on the table. The aunts laughed randomly at inside jokes about each other. The kids ran and played in the grass, embraced by a cool fall breeze. I sat and stared at the sky that hung carelessly over the cemetery where we buried our PawPaw.

I couldn't help but feel grateful. I never knew in-laws could feel like real blood relatives. By now, 19 years in, I'm not sure they would be who they are without me in the ranks. It's a good feeling to know that you belong. 

As we drive into the dark night towards home, the kids are quietly chattering about the sky. "The stars blink when it's night."

"Did you know those tiny stars are as big as the sun?"

"They're baby suns..."

"I think the stars disappear when it's light out."

Family is my medium. I know who I am because of those from whom I come. I am fearless in life and death because from beginning to end, I belong. And that is a beautiful thing.

lvb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days