Undoing

Algebra is the most difficult subject I've ever taught. It's probably because I think I understand it, and I don't exactly, but I know how to get answers. When you're teaching from that perspective, you can easily lead your kid astray. With Kennedy, I spent hours writing out long steps to problems that I eventually resolved, ending up with the wrong answer, only to find out that I was doing it wrong the whole time.

My saving grace came in the form of Teaching Textbooks. This company has a brilliant system of virtual tutoring that has allowed me to continue homeschooling with some dignity. 

So last week I was sitting with Jasmine watching a lesson on algebraic fractions and the teacher says, "So this time we are going to undo this, remember back a few lessons ago when I showed you how to undo?" Then we went back and watched the "undoing" lesson over, and I was in shock and awe that after all these years I've never heard (or remember hearing) that term, and that process is the hub of all of algebra. 

I wish I could undo my real life problems. I wish we could go back to the other side and do the opposite of what we did and get resolve. But we can't. There's no undoing in real life. The lines aren't straight and the numbers aren't equal because people are flawed where math is perfect. People are a mess; we are messy. 

There is hope for us. Our redeeming processes are grace, forgiveness, hope, and healing in Jesus Christ. These can't undo our problems, but they can resolve our messes. 

Lvb

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days