Daily Bread

One of the things I try to do everyday in my study time is to work on a few pages of the How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth study guide. I had high aspirations to finish this thing when I was in Nebraska, but my life starting changing and so did my priorities. I wish I could control that but I am still so weak in these things... which also explains the ten pounds I put on during those weeks of chaos!

I've been working through the Wisdom books and this morning something really caught my attention, something I want to remember and put into practice. *I do not retain knowledge easily, which is why instead of continually reading this book, I have decided to pick it apart, piece by piece, so that I can digest it and hopefully retain some of the important pieces of knowledge long term.

One thing that is important to understand about Proverbs is that these little bits of wisdom were written to be memorable rather than to establish doctrine or understood literally. It's simple, it seems to make sense. These verses about prosperity offer wisdom for living, not a recipe for worldly gain.

With that said, consider this verse:

Proverbs 22:11 Whoever loves a pure heart and whose speech is gracious will have a king for a friend.

The explaination that followed, written by the authors of How to Read, said this "The specific paraboloic language of the proverb is inteded to point beyond itself to the truth that leaders and responsible persons are generally impressed both by honesty and by careful discourse. "

This struck me because every time we move, I get a new start, another chance to be the person I wish I could be all the time. Usually this failure is a direct result of talking too much, and I determine in my heart to choose my words rather than spill my guts to whomever would listen. It's a terrible struggle for me, but I am learning to keep what I think I know to myself and offer what I do know only when it's necessary. In theory, this works for me; in practice, I have not mastered it. Dale would quickly attest to the fact.

The other night I was positioned on the football field between a talker and a listener. There was such a dramatic distinction that it further encouraged my pursuit of being a listener. Lord, help me to take these bits of practical wisdom to heart and put them into practice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days