Paul the Shepherd and Eric the Blogger

Some gems from Paul's recent piece:
"A job at a big company is like high fructose corn syrup: it has some of the qualities of things you're meant to like, but is disastrously lacking in others."

I don't know who Paul Graham is and I don't have a job at a big company, but I've been a part of a couple of big churches which is what made me love this quote because it's so apropos. I overheard a conversation today between two women, members of the same church, bemoaning the impossibility of true connections among the other members due to the busyness and size of the parish. "You can only really get to know people if you make a place for yourself there. It's just the way it is." I attended this church on a couple of occasions and left because of this very thing, only to find that it's the same where I am now, only on the surface this church is much more friendly.

While I don't love going to church, I am glad we go to the church we go to because an older gal comes and sits by me during Bible study and asks me pointed questions about my life. Her name is Dee and I adore her for this. Another woman comes over during greeting time on Wednesday night and asks me how things are going and talks to my kids like she's known them all their lives. It makes me feel moderately connected. I have also made a few friends because I chose to attend the women's Bible study and the Holy Spirit has lead me out of the desert of pride into vulnerability and it has brought an abundant return.

The shepherd of this body is a real drawing card for the church. His preaching is solid and the raw expression of his love for God during his messages is compelling. While I really like his wife, I've only spoken to the pastor once and that only because she dragged him over to introduce me to him after I started singing at Bible study. So, you have this amazing pastor that doesn't know all the sheep; there's something disastrously lacking about that.

It's 11:09 and I've cleaned everything in the house except for the kitchen sink and floor. I HAVE to finish it tonight or I'll despise myself tomorrow when it will go to the bottom of the list, but I'm stalling because I'm not a finisher. So in trying to change my e-mail address on this account, I came across a blog written by someone I don't know and logged it into my favorites just so I can check in and see how things are going for the former Blogger employee. What is that? Why is it so intriguing to read about other people's lives? I mean, you're reading this so I guess there's something to it, but what is it? Anyway, I'm glad for it, whatever it is. I do wonder, though, if when the reality TV thing wears off and some new trend in television takes over if people will lose interest in others' realities. With that said, let me leave you with a perfect definition of my life right now, courtesy of Eric the Blogger.

Fred Brooks sums it up well:
"Not only is the end not in sight, the pace is not slackening. We have many future joys."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days