Thirty-Five, Thirty-Five, Dale is thirty-five TODAY!

Dale's birthday is never predictable. He doesn't like the fact that everyday makes him one day older, and he especially doesn't like that each year we landmark the fact that another year has passed with a party and celebrations of various sorts. To combat the birthday blues, I generally try to dream up something that will surprise him enough to distract him from the inevitable, if only for the day.

When he turned thirty, I invited some of our college friends to come from far and wide to stay the weekend and party with us. When he turned thirty-two I wrote him a poem. Last year I had the honor of requesting he get half the day off to spend with us; I called his boss directly. You know the unreasonable master mentioned in the Bible? That's the kind of boss we're talking about. I sweet-talked him with the promise of a chocolate cake and he conceded to let him go. It was the greatest gift for him because he was working such relentless hours and he was exhausted.

This year, being thirty-five, seems moderately monumental and I wanted to so something really special but I just never managed to quite pull it together. He already has the day off, and there's not much in the way of surprises, but I will tell you this. The kids and I are really excited to celebrate his birthday in every way that he wants to. He'll be King for the day. When someone cares about your big day as much as you always hoped everyone would when you were a kid, that's what makes a really special day. So here's to you, Dreamy.

Happy birthday to you... Happy birthday to you... Happy birthday, sweet Baeba, Happy Birthday to You. To my favorite boy in the whole wide world, may all your birthday wishes come true!!!
From Zane, Alexa, Gavin and Kegan, our neices and nephews far, far away.
From my sweet Grandma far, far away.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days