5K on the 4th


Remember Cara? She doesn't like the limelight, which explains why I don't have very many pictures of her. She and I are housewives in separate Siberias. We have a lot in common. A few years back, she joined up with a running class and did her first 5K in New Mexico. I was so impressed that I started looking at my own options for running here in California. Last spring we even started talking about doing a run in Monterrey Bay. It's probably the most beautiful place we've been here, and she has a friend that lives there that would probably participate too. I didn't really think it was going to happen with juggling kids and driving all the way out there, but it was fun to talk about.

After we decided we were definitely coming the Midwest this summer, she called me and said, "I sent you a flyer about a 5K they're having in Emporia on the Fourth of July. Wanna do it?" I was hesitant knowing there would be a lot going on the Fourth, but I really wanted to have the experience with her. Who knew when we'd have this kind of open door again? So I said, "Let's do it!" I started running on the treadmill at the gym and withing a week was able to knock out four miles. Granted, running on a treadmill in a gym at a preset pace doesn't compare to running outside. She sent me a training regimen that was a piece of cake, so I just blew it off. I knew I could run that far if I did it slow enough, what was a the point of sticking to a schedule?

When we got to Richmond, I got my running shoes on and headed out around nine o'clock to attempt a few miles in heat a humidity, something I've NEVER attempted. There is a cemetery across the street from the house that is hilly and measures four laps for a mile; perfect. As I cleared my first lap, I was pretty winded but still had enough stamina to keep going. At the end of my third, I was trying to talk myself into one more running lap and then rewarding myself with one walking. After the fourth lap I was hurrying across the street to the house so that I wouldn't throw up on some poor stranger's flowers. Not a good sign.

I tried a few days later to run again. It was better because it wasn't as hot, but this time I had a bird alerting the community of my presence. Each time I neared their tree, he got his buddies together and dive-bombed me! I couldn't believe it! I armed myself the next time I went out with a newspaper. As soon as the birds would start to drop toward me, I would slap the newspaper in my hand and they'd dart off in different directions. It worked, but it really disrupted my focus. I ran two more times, topping out at 1.5 miles. There was no way I was going to be able to finish a 5K (3.3 mi.). Cara was going to be disappointed but it just wasn't going to happen.

Jon and Cara got to my mom's a few days before the run. I broke the news to her that I wasn't going to be able to finish it. That's when she told me she had matching shirts for us. I had to do it. We joked about how it would be since neither of us had done much running on vacation. I was sure she could do it, but I was very, very nervous about it.

The night before the actual run I was getting everything out so that I wouldn't be scavenging through suitcases in the dark the next day and couldn't find tennis shoes. NO RUNNING SHOES!! I seriously almost cried. Thank goodness my sister had a pair of Shox that were moderately worn in. My feet give me fits from running and walking a lot, so wearing a strange pair of shoes only added to my building anxiety.

I woke up about every half hour and and finally up at five-thirty to shower and stretch out the morning of the run. No one else was up, which was bizarre because the house was packed. All my siblings and their children were there. My parents even did a quick clean-up in the attic remodel and moved the bed in so that they could give up their bedroom.

Dressed in our matching t-shirts without snapping a single picture, we headed out the door to do our first 5K together. There were a few people gathered at the starting location. Some skinny, giggly cross-country runners, some older gentlemen in their prime, and a college kid that was sprinting up and down the parking lot before the race. Just that would've burned up my entire stock of energy before the race! I was getting more and more nervous the longer we stood there.

The organizers handed out maps, talked us through the process, and then we lined up for the start. I was relieved to know that some of our competitors would be walking. It assured me that we wouldn't be the last ones in, as long as we kept jogging.

We started out at a good pace, still able to visit and laugh. About eight minutes in, there was a mailbox with birds and flowers painted on it that I caught a glimpse of a block away. I told myself that if I made it to that mailbox, I could walk for awhile. When we got there, Cara didn't seem to be winded at all, so I didn't say anything, I just kept running.

We could see runners ahead of us and there were people marking the path and telling us where to turn. At one point, I looked down a street that no one turned on and there was a person standing on that next corner. After looking at the map, I decided that all of them had made a mistake and we should keep going instead of turning. She trusted me and the guy didn't tell us otherwise, but then we saw more runners coming down the street toward him. If we stayed on that path, we'd be cutting about six blocks off the path. I'm pretty sure she wanted to hit me when we turned back around and headed the way we were originally going.

The rest of the run was brutal. Every block was difficult. I kept a close eye on the map, which gave me some relief, knowing the end was getting closer and closer. At any moment I could have stopped and probably would have if Cara had stopped, but we just kept going. Knowing that everyone in the house knew about our venture inspired us, probably more than anything else. I just couldn't bare to tell Dale that I didn't do it, either. He was so far away cheering me on. I had to do it.

I'm not a finisher, I think we've covered that. Finishing that race changed me. The sense of elation that I felt as we crossed the line was indescribable. My body was totally depleted, but something inside me was born out of sheer will. It was totally gratifying.

Hip hip hooray!
We finished a 5K!

Comments

  1. great job - i forgot to ask you about that - way to finish

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days