Bilbo



Bilbo Baggins, such a vibrant example of the frailty of humanity. Just when they get to a place in time where the dwarves are recognized for their greatness and their mission, they have feasted and drunk and been lauded as legends, they have the biggest houses and people cheering them everywhere they went. They had everything this world has to offer, and yet:


“The only person thoroughly unhappy was Bilbo.”


He was called to an adventure, and he declined. Then at the last minute he went. Countless times the dwarves were held captive, and he was left holding the bag. It fell to him to rescue and deliver, when all along he didn’t really want to go. He proved over and over that he was a commodity, and yet he doubted his ability. He despised the adventure. He longed for home.


I feel this in the most profound sense. God called me. He gave me this family. He has entrusted things to me that I feel I have no resources to manage, and yet they are mine. He says, “Go and do for my namesake!” And I feel small and weak and poor, incapable of doing what He has called me to do. I don’t have answers. Sometimes it’s hard to even pray, and yet they look to me to hold it all together. I feel the weight of the world, I am distracted. I’m foolish and forgetful, and He says, “Tjis is the way, walk in it!” And I cower, stepping with shaky legs out on an endless bridge over a bottomless cavern with only the promise of home, but I step. On foot in front of the other. Fear. No confidence in myself. Worry. Doubt. Worried that I’ll fall. But I step, sure that  He who called me will catch me if I slip. 


“Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.”

‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭NASB‬‬

https://www.bible.com/bible/100/1th.5.24.na

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days