condemnation



This crazy thing happens to me in the transition between driving home from a place and walking in the door of my house. On the way home, I diligently plan how I will spend the time remaining in the day. I make a list of items I’d like to accomplish; often I say the list out loud so that I also hear it in hopes of remembering. When I walk into my house through the door, I’m immediately overwhelmed with six million other things that need to be done. My commitment to finish the four things I said out loud is abolished by the mountain of things in the que, things that have been waiting in the que for years. Things like cleaning out the gutters on the back of the house. Organizing the linen closet. Finishing the trim in the kitchen. It’s like that game Fruit Basket Upset. Or Four Corners, when the caller calls all the numbers at the same time. My brain scrambles, and all I see is what’s in front of me. Laundry. The mess on the counter. The clothes on the floor. The dishes scattered into every room. The next meal. Usually, I engage my flight response and waste the remainder of the day, avoiding all of it completely.


I carry an enormous amount of perceived inferiority when I see your pictures of your clean house and your beautiful life in the highlight reel of Facebookland. It’s not your fault, I’m working through it. But I want to be sure that when people see my posts, they know it’s not all coming up roses over here. We’re all just doing the best we can most days. Sometimes it’s less than that. That’s why it’s so critical for us to hold tightly to this verse regarding the “big sins” as well as the tiny infractions, otherwise we will begin to believe the lies that we are failures and a misfits. We were bought with a price, and Jesus paid dearly for this truth. 


“Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:1‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

https://www.bible.com/bible/100/rom.8.1.nasb1995

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days