bless his holy name


 

I woke up super early this morning into a quiet dark awakening. Both the little boys were in our room, but they slept soundly and peacefully. As thoughts and prayers rolled through my head, there was a current of worship simultaneously running underneath. The words, “We long, we long, we long for You and no one else, could satisfy us like you do, Jesus...” The kids. Money. The house. Dale. The past. The future. All the while the lyrics rising to the surface and fading into the background like waves in the ocean.


As a teenager every year at church camp I would commit myself to abandoning secular music and only listening to Christian music. It never lasted for the whole year, I couldn’t see that far ahead. But I wrestled with it. As an adult I settled into a place of contentment, listening to all kinds of music without condemnation. 


What I have discovered is that whatever I am listening to will stay on repeat in my head until I change the channel. If I’m listening to Ray LaMontagne sing his melancholy stories of love and loss, that’s what will color my thoughts. But when I’m singing along with Steffany Gretzinger with reckless abandon to Jesus, the truth of those lyrics will draw me to shore every time.


Music is a powerful way to turn toward Jesus. I would love to share some of my favorites and see some of yours in the comments! Don’t be shy. You matter as much as any other name on this platform. Your music may reach someone that no one else’s could. 


Bless you, my precious friends, this journey is so much sweeter when we are walking it together.


“Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.”

‭‭Psalm‬ ‭103:1-5‬ ‭ESV‬‬

https://www.bible.com/bible/59/psa.103.1-5.esv


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days