fat tuesday



I never quite understood Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday. I grew up in a church that didn’t participate in liturgical tradition, so I always thought Lent was a Catholic practice. This year Dale announced that we would be observing Lent as a family, and I was thrilled. I’ve always been curious about it, so the opportunity to dive right in would provide a wealth of knowledge and insight to the mystery.


After the announcement, he emailed me from work and explained that the day before Lent, today, is a feasting day. It originally served as a way to use up rich foods like milk and eggs before fasting, so a special type of pancake was served with other sweet and savory foods. He sent me a recipe, and I built a menu around it.


The pancakes were unleavened  and very similar to crepes, so we cut fruit and made syrup. Deisha made French toast while I fried hash browns and scrambled eggs. We had a regular feast! 


As we ate we talked about Lent and what we each might give up during the 40 days of fasting. We encouraged the kids to consider their choices before committing, knowing that even a simple sacrifice feels difficult after so many days. It thrilled me to hear what they decided as they shared later that night. 


For me fasting isn’t really about the thing you choose to give up. It’s about remembering to focus your attention on Jesus each time you miss the thing you gave up. It’s a way to give something back when we have so little to offer an infinite God. It’s about laying out an offering throughout the day that comes with the sacrifice of your will. That is an offering that pleases God. Even if we forget, or mess up, or give up some days, we have 40 days to keep trying. 


For those of you observing Lent with us, we walk this path united as followers of Christ. Godspeed, darlings. He is coming soon.


“Be present, O merciful God, and protect us through the hours of this night, so that we who are wearied by the changes and chances of this life may rest in your eternal changelessness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.”

https://www.dailyoffice2019.com/compline/2021-2-16/

Comments

  1. I love this! Yes, it is about turning to God when you think about what you are sacrificing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking maybe I didn’t give up enough when I laid my sourdough down, but I have to remember that even the widow’s mite was precious to Jesus. It’s never about the thing, always about the heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days