relevance





I’ve been considering changing my hair for a few months. Nothing drastic, just different. I am not consumed with appearances until someone says I should think about doing something differently because it would make me look younger. It feeds a part of me that is typically starved, not by virtue but rather from convenience.


I started scrolling for hair styles and came across a meme that said something like, “Skinny jeans and side part, don’t care.” Ok. Not only did I not realize that those things had become outdated, I thought they were keeping me in the stream of relevance. Then I started thinking about my girls and how their shelves are stacked with a style of jeans that I wouldn’t even know how to find, let alone wear.


A friend once told me that the thought of becoming irrelevant was terrifying. I said that I was dreaming of those days, and I meant it. But when I read that meme and felt the reality of my irrelevance, it hit me hard. I quaked in the depths and realized it is happening already. 


There are two parts of me that constantly wage war on the inside. I want to be rejected by the popular vote and also praised by it. I want to celebrate the few minutes I spend in front of a mirror and also look like I was there for hours. I want to give it all away and still have everything. It’s maddening. 


“For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭7:15‬ ‭ESV‬‬

https://www.bible.com/bible/59/rom.7.15.esv


Have mercy of me, oh God, according to your unfailing love.


lvb

Comments

  1. What? Side part is out? That is not good. Yes, the struggle is real.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days