disengagement




friend recently challenged me to extend my 5 minutes of silence with God to 15

I thought it would be difficult, but I love it. I look forward to this precious, “not of this world” time for every single day.


What’s interesting is that my mind wants to keep working while I’m being still. It wants to pray. It wants to write;  I get so many ideas during this time! It wants to schedule things I’ve forgotten. It wants to send texts to people that I could just send real quick. It wants to be in charge. I have to keep reminding it, like a child, to quiet down and listen. 


Today I cracked the window open. It was early in the morning and there wasn’t a lot of noise besides the birds. Last week we were at the park and the birds were just chattering like crazy! I was enamored by their language to each other and called my boys to stop and listen. One of them said, “I don’t want to. Birds are annoying!” 


I was quick to answer, “No they’re not! They are singing the songs of heaven!”


So today as I sat in my chair refocusing my mind, I tuned into the birds. In the background, engines were revving on the highway, but I kept honing in on the birds, singing the songs of heaven, and tuning out the noises of this world. It was like they were drawing my attention back to God, while other sounds competed for my attention. It was a remarkable. It was a perfect picture in real life of what was happening at the same time in my mind. 


If you haven’t tried this, do it sometime today! Settle the littles in your household with a movie or a book or whatever will keep them occupied. Find a quiet place. Set a timer for 5 minutes. Get comfortable, close your eyes, and turn your heart to God. I promise you won’t regret it. 


“Let my meditation be pleasing to Him; As for me, I shall be glad in the LORD.”

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭104:34‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

https://www.bible.com/bible/100/psa.104.34.nasb1995

Comments

  1. This is so amazing that you wrote about this. I was thinking about what you said about the 5 minutes of rest and listening to what God has to say. I forgot to tell you that I have been working on this this week after your message. God is speaking through you and telling me to keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days