everything but the sink

This is about to get real.

We have a one and a half story house. I live on the main floor. As a matter of fact, if you’ve ever been in my house, you have probably been in my room because the only bathroom on the main floor is in my room. That design is my least favorite feature of the house. There is another bathroom upstairs, but I rarely send my guests upstairs. As you can imagine with all these kids using a it for 11 years, it’s not in great shape.

The kids’ bathroom has always been a bane to me. I don’t want to go up there. I don’t want to check it after chores. I don’t even go upstairs very often because it’s the kids’ lair. And the hall gets messy. I know it’s irresponsible. I know it falls to me to make sure the walls aren’t falling down up there, but I avoid it. When it makes it to the top of the que on my list, it’s usually because of some disaster that has transpired. Or a lightbulb is out.

I couldn’t tell you how long ago it was that Leila told me the sink was cracked. I don’t know how bad it was when it happened, and I don’t know how long I neglected to look at it. The kids told me several more times in the following days. By the time I got up there to investigate, it was bad. Very bad. It wasn’t just cracked, there was a piece missing so you could see into the basin of the sink. There were little toys and bits of trash floating in the water inside the crevice. I was speechless. The urgency to replace it grew, but I still didn’t fix it yet.

Finally, after months of neglect, I bought new vanities to replace both sinks in that bathroom. And they sat in the entryway of my house for a few weeks. Then I got the courage to get the old ones out, and put the new ones in, but one of the sinks was chipped. While I figured out what needed to happen with that one, both vanities sat in the bathroom where they belonged without being hooked up leaking water from the open valves, which Micah discovered the water after a few days of slow drips. Then I got the replacement sink and drove around with it in my van for a while. 

All that to say that last night, after a really crazy run of activity last week, I got it all done. The sinks are in, there are no cracks or chips. Now I’m just watching for drips. And it feels so good.

I’ve been carrying the load of this burden for a long, long time. It was hanging in the back of my mind at all times. Besides the crack in one sink, the other sink was clogged. I know they told me, but I kept forgetting until I disassembled the whole thing and found the trap full of stuff. There was also water damage. Lots of water damage. But I just couldn’t get to it. There was always something more pressing. Something squeaking louder. Something pushing me in another direction. And guess what? It was fine. I gave it to the Lord every time it overwhelmed me, and eventually I got it all resolved. 

“Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.”

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭55:22‬ ‭NASB1995‬ https://www.bible.com/bible/100/psa.55.22.nasb1995




Comments

  1. Looks so beautiful, you are amazing at your home improvement skills.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days