snake


We went for a walk yesterday at the walking park just outside of town. The trail we took was mostly shaded and relatively level. I was absolutely in fall heaven under the trees as we walked. The birds were singing, the wind was gently passing through us. The boys had their scooters and Scarlette had her hoverboard. 

We walked about a mile when we came to a little bridge over the creek that runs through. I reminded the boys to keep a lookout because we saw a cottonmouth snake the last time we were there. Just about the time I said that and was passing over the bridge, Clinton spotted a snake coiled up on the rocks. It startled a little with us all gathered around looking at it, and it slithered down the rock to the water. I assured myself that snakes do not attack unless they are cornered or injured. 

On the way back, the snake was positioned in the same spot, but it was turned toward the road this time, in strike position. We kept our distance and there was no incident, but I was rattled. The sight of it gave me chills. Cottonmouths are poisonous! I couldn’t believe we were having a second encounter with one right here a few miles from home!

I keep thinking about how we live our lives as if things will always be as great as they are right now. We have lived through seasons of amazing blessing and seasons of incredible awfulness. One thing I have come to know is that nothing is promised to me except that God is in control, and my life is not my own. Honestly, at any minute a cottonmouth could show up out of nowhere and take me down! But if that’s the way I’m going out, I’ll see you on the other side. 

“For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:38-39‬ ‭NIV‬‬

https://www.bible.com/bible/111/rom.8.38-39.niv

Photo credit: http://www.thealexandriazoo.com/Cottonmouth.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days