Vacation

Leaving town for a few days always gives me new perspective on things that matter and things that don’t. One of the things I realized while we were gone was that when I don’t watch the news, I get a big ol helping of reality. We traveled through six states, and in none of those did I encounter rioting, hysteria, or even hostility. People were courteous and friendly to each other everywhere we went. Before we left home, I felt nervous to go anywhere outside of our little town because I wasn’t sure if I’d be putting myself or my kids at risk of people looking for a fight. That’s just not the reality. There are certainly hotspots in the country where there is violence and heated engagement, but it’s not everywhere. It’s not even most places. The media wants to turn us against each other. Frankly, I’ve had enough of that hyper-sensationalized version of our world. 


The other thing is, with me being absent from Facebook and not keeping tabs on the headlines, nothing has changed. Everything stayed the same with and without me. I’m not going to bear the burden of trying to steer anymore. It’s like fighting the wind. I can stay informed without being consumed, and that is what I intend to do. I’m ready to distance myself and fill my minutes with what is true, noble, right, pure and lovely. Be present and fight distraction. Spend quiet moments setting my mind and determination to do the will of God, moment but moment.


Because the Sovereign LORD helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore, I have set my face like a stone, determined to do his will. And I know that I will not be put to shame. Isaiah 50:7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days