Co-op

When we first attended co-op
three years ago
I dreaded it.
Every week I wanted to call in sick.
I actually did more often than
was truly necessary.

Last year I was determined to
drop out.
But Dale
encouraged me to stay with it.
The kids needed the outlet.
They needed to be around other kids.
We couldn't keep them
cooped up in this house
all the time.
Funny.
I was cooping them.
He wanted to be at coop. (co-op)
Hahahaha.

This year I have been waiting
with eager anticipation
for the first day of co-op.
It turns out,
when I have a classroom of
attentive little faces
and some helper teachers,
I really enjoy teaching!
This year I am teaching two classes:
art for 3-year-olds, and
art for 4 and 5-year-olds.
You may think I'm cuckoo
for requesting these classes,
but I love it!

So I planned all of these wonderful
hands-on, fully-engaging activities
for my classes and wouldn't you know,
we ran out of time before we
got through half my list.
This is good.
It saves me some grief for next week.
But it makes me think also
I may want to take on a little more
with these little ones next year!

It's so much easier when you are teaching
in a classroom,
with children that are scared of you
because they don't know you
so they behave,
without babies,
or dogs,
or doorbells,
or cellphones,
or lunch,
or other snacks,
or anything else to contend with
besides the clock.

Just like McDonalds,
I'm lovin' it.
lvb

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days