I'm just wondering

Do you get some kind of notice
when I reply to your comments?
I love your comments. And
I love it when I get responses to comments
but I'm never sure that you
even see them.

In other news...
Sunday morning after feeding the munchkins
donuts and cleaning up donuts and
delivering kids to all their classes,
I arrived at the sanctuary mid-worship.
In the TV monitors I could see that
the chairs were rearranged.
The entire sanctuary was set in rows
in a circle.
No one faced the stage,
we all faced each other.
Everywhere you looked there was someone
looking
unless you looked at the ceiling
or the floor.

It was the most awkward thing.
I kept turning to look at the projection screen
for words to all these songs I'd never heard, and
when I looked to the right, those people were
looking to the left.
When I looked to the left, those people were
looking to the right.
I had to laugh a few times.
It was like standing there in my underwear
with a bunch of other people in their underwear.
Not the sexy undies either,
the grannies.

Our pastor loves to do that.
He loves to put people in situations that
stir them up in the most unexpected way.
Like, when you meet him,
he will hug you.
When you avoid eye contact
he will call your name and
tell a story about you
from the pulpit.
It's uncomfortable and kind of
great
at the same time.

You know I feel lonely on Sundays
but I put myself together,
the hair, the make-up, the jewelry,
to cover the fact that I'm
not quite who I want to be there.
Which is someone.
It works until
Rusty walks right over during worship
in front of all those looking eyes
and hugs me for a very long time,
which brings tears to my eyes.
It made me feel like I belonged
if only for that few minutes.

God knew.
I needed it.
He always knows.
It was His response
to my unspoken comment.

lvb

Comments

  1. I don't. I just go back and check...goodness, reminds me of when crazy hildreth came back to me during worship. Remember that? I bolted a few times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, awful! It's a strange thing when pastors do that. I would rather it never happen, of course, but it was just the right thing at the right time, I guess.

      Delete
  2. Yikes!!! I definitely didn't get the "hiddegarth" vibe from rusty!! Oh man Sista!! If you go online i think there are notifications, but not on the app!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mercy

guard dog

Better days